RE: olympus-digest V2 #1107- [OM] The Dreaded Fungi

Subject: RE: olympus-digest V2 #1107- [OM] The Dreaded Fungi
From: "Chung, Stephen" <chungs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:25:07 +1000
Garth Wood pondered:-

>Meanwhile, I took my beloved Zuiko 100mm F/2.0 into a local shop which
>says it's a factory-authorized Olympus Service Centre, and was told I'd
>wait 2 to 3 weeks and would be charged between $100.00 and $180.00 Canadian
>(about $66.84 to $120.31 U.S. at today's interbank exchange rate).  Does
>this sound reasonable?

        My Zuiko 100F2 also has a case of fungus.  I suspect it was there
when I bought it sight unseen from KEH. If one looks hard enough, the fungus
is visible on one of the elements buried deep within the lens .  It also has
a sluggish aperture which has improved with use and a fair sized ding on the
lens hood which hasn't. It is the worst example of bargain grade glass I
have purchased from KEH and yet I had decided to keep it the moment I beheld
the magical viewfinder image it presented, mounted on my OM4.

        Having used it on many many occassions now since, I am happy to
report that my 100F2 lives up to the glowing reports that this lens has
enjoyed on the Oly list, even with its case of fungus.  My long lost single
coated Zuiko 100F2.8 wasn't that far behind in the performance stakes and
comfortably blows the 100F2 into the weeds in the size and weight race and
yet this mottly old 100F2 must be one of the most satisfying Zuikos I've
managed to lay my hands on.

        I am on vacation to hot and humid South East Asia next month, where
fungus riddled lenses fear to tread, so my 100F2 has been taken to hospital
for open heart surgery and fungus removal.  The estimate for this treatment
is $140 ($US95) by Dr. John of Shutter Box here in Melbourne, Australia.
Hope all goes well with your 100F2.

Regards
S.C.

PS.  And I thought I was overdoing it when I considered lugging a Vivitar
24F2, Fat Boy (my Vivitar S1 35-85F2.8), Zuiko 135F2.8, 2XA, 12mm ext tube,
OM1, small flash,tripod and some filters on my vacation.  However on reading
what other people are planning to take I don't feel so bad :-)