Re: [OM] Rebuttal on Repair recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Rebuttal on Repair recommendations
From: Brian Windrim <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:24:27 +0100 (BST)
Keith wrote:

> It puts me in a quandary though. Do I spend $69 plus to repair the
> XA with the shutter that's running four stops slow after storing it
> for five years?  I like the camera in theory but I did forget it for
> all that time. Would it be better to throw it away and put the cash
> towards a modern Mju (Stylus) with 12 months' guarantee rather than
> 3 for the repair? Or occasionally use it in its crippled state,
> ignoring the meter needle - or tackle the repair myself and *then*
> throw it away?

Throw it away?!!? NOOOOOO!!!

Don't do it Keith! XAs deserve better than that, and there are only a finite
number of them in the World (whereas the supply of XA2s seems limitless).

Looking at the complexity inside a Mju-II (on the Olympus web site) I find
it hard to believe that it will have the same longevity or survivability
as an XA (12+ years for mine).

Regards,

Brian