Re: [OM] Camara for beginner

Subject: Re: [OM] Camara for beginner
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:23:29 -0400
My 2 cents:

An OM -1 or OM-1n is a great camera. I have two, but you'll miss auto exposure if it's your only body. The OM-1 is great as a second body, on alone, as long as you don't mind metering manually. Remember that it needs a PX625 Mercury battery, CRIS adapter, Wein Zinc-Air cell, or an internal modification to meter properly. The OM-1 is particularly tough too, if you need that. They sell for $150-225 w/o lens in the U.S. You should count on an immediate CLA for

Personaly, for a budget, I'd go with an OM-PC (OM-40). It's not as well built as the OM-1, etc., but it gives you auto exposure, Program mode, full manual, ESP metering (rudimentary matrix metering), TTL Flash w T-series or equivalent flashes, bright 2-series focusing screen, Motor Drive compatibility, and a nice finish. I really love mine. I bought it from a list member for $120 w/50/1.8. You should be able to get one for $125-175, maybe even with a lens for that price. I've seen many for <$100 in not-so-nice shape. Right now at http://www.mxv.co.uk/stock/olympus.htm, there's an OM-40 for £79 and a 50/1.8 MIB for £20. So you could have it for <£100 +shipping.

The OM-2s will probably get votes too, but it's a bit more $$, not to mention the OM-4, etc.

Skip