Re: [OM] XA problem (was Rebuttal on Repair recommendations)

Subject: Re: [OM] XA problem (was Rebuttal on Repair recommendations)
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:48:58 +0100
Richard Ross wrote:
>I *think* the XA uses a CdS cell rather than a silicon one, so if you've
>stored it for that length of time the CdS cell might have gone to sleep,
>causing the symptom you describe.  Try leaving it in daylight with the
>cover open for a few days - that might resuscitate it.  Just a thought, and
>it won't cost anything at all!  CdS cells suffer from a "memory" effect
>which causes them to "remember" the light level in which they've been kept
>for any length of time - in this instance your cell still thinks it's in
>the dark and thus overexposes.  It maybe just needs some exercise - let it
>see the light :-)

Thanks Richard, I'll try it. The XA's spent a few days in a sunny window,
but inside a lens pouch just for the heat (and as a protection against a
possible visit by the cat!). I don't hold too much hope though, as the meter
needle in the viewfinder seems very accurate. When pressing the shutter
release at an indicated 1/125th the shutter operates at what looks, and
sounds, like 1/8th or slower. The offset seems to be quite linear, an
indicated 1 second gives me an open shutter for around six seconds. The
shutter speed when set for flash, however, is always instantaneous, which
leads me to think that it's not an oily blade problem.
A 100 ASA test film was exposed at 800 ASA and the results were good even
though the shutter sounded to be around 1/15th sec some of the time, and I
got some unexpected subject movement. It surprised me how still I could hold
the camera when I was expecting a slow speed!
It's now in a terrarium, hopefully out of reach of the cat, but in a clear
polythene bag just in case, staring out of the window, for as you say, it
costs nothing to try it.
Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx