Re: [OM] ...blades & bokeh.....

Subject: Re: [OM] ...blades & bokeh.....
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:17:16 -0400
I believe you'll find that the number of blades increases with the
diameter of the lens.  Despite Acer's preference for angular highlights
the lens designer is actually trying to achieve a circular aperture as
much as possible.  The greater the number of blades the closer the shape
is to a circle.  Trying to stuff 8 blades into the space available in a
28mm f/3.5 (which has 6) would be hard.  However, the 50mm f/1.4, the
85mm f/2 and the 135 f/3.5 all have 8 blades.  They are also
approximately the same diameter with the front element filling the
available space for a 49mm filter.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Giles wrote:

>No, because the 90mm f2 has lovely bokeh.  It has nine blades and the 50mm
>f3.5  has 6.

>I reason there must be a good reason Olympus does not just use six blades on
>all
 lenses.