RE: [OM] Looking for tripod advice

Subject: RE: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 16:57:22 -0400
Chuck,
I have had Gitzo tripods for a long time.  Had a Studex Performance that
enabled me to spread out legs and get close to ground.  Used it a lot with
my 2 1/4 and 4x5.  I no longer use those and the Studex seemed to me to be
too much tripod.  Traded the Sudex off for a Bogen 3401.  The 3401 lets me
still spread out the legs like the Gitzo AND also lets me install one of the
2 columns either vertically or horizontally in relation to the tripod.  I
can use the short column and get VERY close to the ground or the long column
and use it near a table for close ups on a higher plane.  Nice sturdy
product.

Then, in a local camera store about 2 months ago I saw a weird looking
tripod that looked ideal. A Benbo.  First time I had ever seen one.  COOL!
Does all I wanted and more.  As I see it, it is the perfect outdoor tripod.
It is very hard to explain how it works, but the single release allows the
entire tripod to be set in almost any position you desire.  You just need to
remember that when you loosen the knob, everything can change, so pay
attention.  The Benbo is especially well designed for outdoors in the
respect that the bottom part of the leg is outside the upper.  This prevents
water and junk from gunking up the inside of the legs!

I've used the Benbo when the 3401 couldn't do the job, especially for copy
work.

I have ~ 4 ball heads, got rid of all my pan/tilt types.  A good ball head
is wonderful and allows me to work much faster than the "video" style.  On
the Benbo, I use a Benbo.  No particular reason, I got it used after I
bought the Benbo legs.  Works well and is sturdy.
I also have 2 larger Bogens, the 3028 and the 3026.  The 3026 is an
excellent head for OM-type work.  I've not had any problems with either
holding the camera/lens where I put it.  Buy a head that's too big, rather
than one that will "hopefully" do the job.  It is aggravating to set a
system up, tighten the knob and then see it allow your entire photo to move
out of kilter.

I still own a Leitz large ball head that I bought 20 years ago.  That thing
really holds well too.  Take a look at the Giottos heads, very good pricing.

I also have the pistol grip quick adjustment Slik head.  Really nice for
fast moving subjects.  Has a pistol-type grip that let's me really set up
easily for telephoto shots.  Bogen makes the 3265 which is somewhat similar,
but not as sturdy.  The Slik is rated for ~11 or 13 lbs., the Bogen is only
rated for 5 lbs.  Had the Bogen, sold it to my boss (hope it doesn't hurt my
career)!

Slik makes a good tripod too, take a look at the 212 and the All-Sport.
Both allow legs to spread out for close ups.  Velbon also makes a product
(think it is called the Grounder) that is similar in design to the 212 Slik.

Cullman also has a good name in tripods, take a look at the Titan.  Forget
the Magic II, it is wimpy.  Neat idea, but not sturdy enough.

I prefer tripods without bracing between the legs, makes them easier to set
up and adjust.  Also, unless you are using video, don't buy a tripod with a
crank column.  A simple lift column is faster and more convenient.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx