Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:03:16 -0700 (PDT)
Warren Kato wrote:

>I also agree with you (and Giles). My first SLR were the Pentax HIV (or
>something like that), Spotmatic and Ricoh TLS, which all have their shutter
>speedb dial near the shutter button. I then got an OM1, but not because of
>the location of the shutter ring. When the OM2 came out I was happy to use
>auto and see the shutter speed in the viewfinder.
>
>I also am at odds with the location of the aperture ring (toughening my feet
>for the fire walk). I would like it close to the lens mount. If Maitani had
>designed the OM with the sequence, shutter ring, aperture ring, focus,
>support lens with left hand, and push shutter, this would have made sense
>with the way I operate a camera.

Actually, Warren, the placement of the aperture ring on the end of the lens
was one of the final things that sold me on the OM.  That is like the Leica
too. I had a brief flirtation with a Canon F1 and was always grabbing the
wrong ring.  My only complaint with that feature on the Oly is that it is
not consistent. The zooms have the aperture next to the body.  That was not
an issue on a rangefinder camera however.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx