Re: [OM] New family members

Subject: Re: [OM] New family members
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:23:50 +0000
Try it out, I suspect you will find it is excellent.  Kiron (Kino Precision
Optical
Co.) is a little known and underated manufacturer, they no longer sell products
under the Kiron name.  Gary Schloss has had many good things to say about them.

Their build quality is on par with Zuikos IMO.  Opticly they are very good
also.  I
belive quite a few series 1 Vivitars are in fact made by Kino Precision OC.

You can find a little bit about other opinions and data on Kirons here -

http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/third/cult.html#kiron

I had a 30-80 f4-4.5 Kiron varifocal in NIkon mount once, I still kind of
regret
selling it.  The only real fault it had was a bit of fall off in the corners
at the wide end.

The Kiron you have may also be varifocal.

Kiron made some unique zooms which had a button on the one-touch collar which
could
be used to lock the focal length and still allow focusing.

Giles