Re: [OM] Zoom handling opinions?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zoom handling opinions?
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:43:40 EDT
Les,
Well, since you ask. Years ago, when I bought the 85-250, I nearly decided
against it after reading the Mod. Photography test report. I quote Mod.
Photo," despite the aforementioned softness at longer focal length settings,
this zoom was capable of rendering good corner to corner detail even wide
open at 200-250mm..."  What that means I'm not quite sure since Mod.'s
resolution numbers for this lens were higher than for lenses that they
praised for sharpness. My guess is that they were talking about the contrast,
but here again, the contrast numbers for the 85-250 were quite good (when
compared to other lenses tested during that time frame). Amateur Photography
also tested the 85-250 and complained about a lack of contrast, but gave the
lens a very good rating for definition. I guess what I'm seeing is a contrast
difference. It is very subtle, but to my (old) eyes there. Regardless of what
the test reports say, after all these years the 85-250 is still my favorite
Zuiko telephoto zoom.
Gary Faulkenberry