Re: [OM] Low contract negative film for copying

Subject: Re: [OM] Low contract negative film for copying
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:07:38 -0400
George Conklin <gconklin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I need to make negatives from some old Kodachromes.  Since there is a
> contrast build-up in copying I need a color negative film with low
inherent
> contrast.

This film would be Kodak commercial internegative film 4325.  I hope you
have a LOT of old Kodachromes to copy as this film is only available in 100
foot rolls.

> In the somewhat distant past I had a Bessler (I think that was the brand)
> copier with dichronic filters for the light source.  For making color
> transparencies Kodak had/has a low contract reversal film available in
> bulk.  Calibration was a long task with McBeeth (?) calibration slides and
> many test runs for color balance and the right amount of contrast reducing
> light fed back through a fiber optic.

Yep, those would be either SO366 or 6121 color slide duplicating films.
Exacting color match required for slide duping is a tedious process of trial
and error, even with sophisticated dedicated duping machines.

> This time around I'll use a simple slide copy tube with color negative,
and
> ye olde sun.  The lab can fiddle with the rest.

As Emil Pozar <epozar@xxxxxxxxx> said, "Try preflash at -7 f-stops."  It
works by raising the toe of the contrast curve with minimal change to the
shoulder.  I have done slide to negative copies with mixed results.  The
contrast does rise - more than I'd like - and sharpness suffers.  I prefer
to use an inverted enlarger color head as a light source (constant,
adjustable and controllable) and fine tune color balance with the dial-in
filters.  It takes a few tries, but if you have a volume of slides to copy,
it is worth the effort.

Have you considered scanning?

John P