Re: [OM] cameradirect.com

Subject: Re: [OM] cameradirect.com
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:04:12 +0000
FYI,

The following quoted message (after my sig block) was sent by me to the
admin and abuse email addresses for the two other domains involved in the
unwanted email coming out of "Cameradirect.com."

As with the previous one sent to hotmail.com (the dropbox domain), I have
snipped out the headers to shorten it.  This one explains *how* (the method
and path) the SPAM was getting from Cameradirect to us.

BTW, if you want to gripe about the junk mail you've been receiving from
Cameradirect, use the email addresses in the "To" section of my email.
ListBot is part of Microsoft Network (MSN) LinkExchange, the upstream
provider for which is cw.net; "cameradirect.com" is a single address (sorta
like personal web page[s]) hosted by "dogsaver.com" and the upstream
provider is uu.net.

Best Wishes to the Mail List,
-- John
a.k.a. Captain Blood (of the Steaming Packets)
Four Spammers cast adrift without food or water
One ISP keelhauled
Hoping to have yet another Walk the Plank!

> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 01:44:51 +0000
> To: dns@xxxxxxxxxxx, help@xxxxxxxxxxxx, abuse@xxxxxx,
> lbabuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, abuse@xxxxxxx, noc@xxxxxxx,
> ipadmin@xxxxxx, postmaster@xxxxxx, spamcomplaints@xxxxxxxx
> From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Unsolicited and Unwanted Spam Email
>
> Sirs:
>
> Quoted below you will find two UBE SPAM headers from *unsolicited* and
> *unwanted* emails. I am sending SPAM complaint to a number of email
> addresses within two different domains and their upstream providers as the
> source of this unwanted SPAM is being generated in one domain, remailed
> through another, with a third domain being used as a bounced, returned, and
> irate reply drop box. I have emailed the third domain (hotmail.com) about
> their being used as a dropbox separately.
>
> In my analyses of the mail headers and research of the domains involved, it
> is apparent that the domain known as "cameradirect.com," IP address
> [208.222.162.226]:
>
> 1. Is a site hosted by "dogsaver.com", IP address [208.222.162.249] and user
> of the IP block [208.222.162.0 - 208.222.162.254] containing the IP address
> of cameradirect.com
>
> 2. Collected individual email addresses from legitimate Majordomo
> listservers (either by scanning their archives or querying the servers) and
> other sources without individual addressee or listserver administrator
> knowledge or permission.
>
> 3. Organized these email addresses into a list and placed this list, without
> the permission of the addressees, into the Microsoft Network (MSN) ListBot
> which is part of the MSN LinkExchange.
>
> 4. Began remailing, through the "ListBot.com" lbmail12 IP address
> [204.71.191.10] unsolicited and unwanted bulk email advertising, commonly
> known as SPAM to the addresses loaded into ListBot.
>
> Your assistance to STOP this UNSOLICITED and UNWANTED Bulk Email Spam from
> "cameradirect.com" is URGENTLY requested. I am a member of one of the
> Majordomo listserver email lists culled by "Cameradirect.com" and this
> unwanted email being sent has generated one of the fastest growing and
> longest threads I have seen by list members wondering what on Earth is going
> on.
>
> I want to emphasize the bulk SPAM email being spewed by "Cameradirect.com"
> is *unsolicited*, *unwanted* and was *never* requested. I am *not* the
> listserver administrator, however it has produced one of the longest and
> fastest growing threads on it yet seen. Your assistance in helping shut down
> this operation and ending the unwanted spew of unsolicited spam would be
> greatly appreciated.

[email headers snipped out]