Re: [OM] cameradirect.com

Subject: Re: [OM] cameradirect.com
From: Patrick Giagnocavo <a222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:33:33 +0000
"John A. Lind" wrote:
> 2.  There are two scenarios I can think of on how this is working:
> a.  Cameradirect hired "listbot" to do their dirty work in the piracy of
> email addresses and proceed to spew forth upon them.
> b.  Cameradirect did their own dirty work in piracy of email addresses and
> is using the services of "listbot" (for a fee) to spew forth the spam.
>
> Either way, it looks as if they are now "remailing" the auction advertising
> through "listbot" from their own domain much as the Majordomo for this list
> works.
>
> 3.  It looks as if they are also using a "mail drop" at "hotmail.com" for
> return mail and perhaps some bounces also, not an uncommon tactic . . .
> however the mail from cameradirect is *not* being sent from there.  The
> source of the outbound mail is from a listbot.com SMTP (Simple Mail
> Transfer Protocol) server!

John,

When you start a list on ListBot, you are able (as the admin of that
list) to add people manually, for instance if you are moving to
ListBot from another mailing list server.

You are only supposed to add people to your mailing list that you
know want to be added.  You are not supposed to add people without
their consent.

The SPAM part is that CameraDirect is adding your name to this
mailing list, then posting to that list - ListBot sends you the
email since you are on the mailing list.

In ref to 2a above, I do not believe that ListBot is in any way
involved.  They are a legit, non-spam service - I am a member of
some other mailing lists that are run via ListBot and have never
been spammed by them.

In ref to 2b above, ListBot is a free service, though they do have a
"premium" service that costs money.

They are indeed using ListBot's servers as a remailing point, which
is specifically against ListBot's no-spam policy, from what I can
tell.

The fault appears to lie entirely with CameraDirect.

The spam stopped for me anyways when I responded to the numbered
email address I got in the first mail from ListBot, telling me I had
been added.  I sent a blank email to that address and got back a
form letter from ListBot saying that they took abuse very seriously,
etc.  Has no one else got such an email?

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
a222@xxxxxxxxxxx