lenshoods was Re: [OM] multicoated lenses???

Subject: lenshoods was Re: [OM] multicoated lenses???
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:35:48 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Keith (R.K.) Berry wrote:

:>...flare while shooting in to the
:>>sun (which can be avoided with judicious use of a lenshood)...
:
:I keep reading this over and over on newsgroups, but the main purpose of a
:lens hood (lens shade) is to cast a shadow over the front element and/or
:filter and when you turn the camera towards the sun, this shadow disappears,
:rendering the lens hood useless! You'd be better off with a strategically
:placed tree.

That's what occurred to me too...I thought "all those shutterbugs can't be
wrong...."
But there might still be some benefit at slight angles or when there is a
low altitude sun. I don't think anyone would shoot /directly/ into the sun
(unless it's right around dawn/dusk and the light intensity is less).
YMMV. I've only used the built in slide-out hood on the 200/4 and
75-150/4. Never tried the 28/3.5 one.

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
"And time yet for a hundred indecisions / And for a hundred visions and
revisions."                                             --/Prufrock/