Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:54:55 -0700 (PDT)
Giles wrote:
-snip
>One could also ask which Benbo you saw?  Was it a trekker, the smallest
>model, or
>the very hefty Mk 5 which weighs 8Kg?

I am not sure, Giles.  It was  a little heavier than my Tiltall. I would
guess about 7 or 8 lbs. or 4Kg.

I was quite taken with the design until I pushed on it in the splayed out
position.  I did not realize you could flip it over.  (I have to admit that
I picked up on the salesman's not to well hidden attitude that he did not
like it.) However with the discovery of the large variations in sharpness
on Gary's lens test page which are dependent on how well the camera and
lens are supported, it does seem to me that if conditions dictate that you
use a support, it should probably be a rigid one.  I would guess that the
infamous 200mm plus OM1 combination on the end of a half meter of
cantilevered unsupported aluminum tubing would be bonging around for half a
minute. I guess it is like any other tool. You have to understand its
limitations and use accordingly.

Notice:  this is NOT a plea to Gary to use the 200/OM1 combination to test
tripods. :-)

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA