Flare and Grain - RE: lenshoods was Re: [OM] multicoated lenses???

Subject: Flare and Grain - RE: lenshoods was Re: [OM] multicoated lenses???
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 08:56:14 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:02:03 +0200, Olaf Greve wrote:

>Regarding flare: it's a matter of taste. I know lots of photographers would
>deem their shot to be a failure if you see flare, however, at times is can
>add a nice touch to a picture, maybe that's just my opiniom though...

I agree completely - if flare can be incorporated into the
composition, it can be just as pleasing as a well-placed shadow.

FWIW - I feel the same way about grain - there's times that grain
adds a great deal to a picture. I love to push Tri-X for this very
effect. And yet, you'll often hear shooters bemoan the amount of
grain in a picture.

Crux of the matter for me is that grain and flare are simply parts of
the medium, every bit as much as varying perspective effects by focal
length. Used properly, they can enhance your photographs, and
shouldn't be seen as universal negatives.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx