Re: [OM] exposure for star photos

Subject: Re: [OM] exposure for star photos
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Sep 1999 08:27:57 +1000
Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> So with 400ASA, 50/1.4MC wide open, I can shoot at 1/15sec and get
> points?

Yeah, but stop down a bit for sharpness.

> Do you advise wideopen or stopped down lens? Uhm, colors? What colors? If
> I try /really/ hard, I can see some stars a just a /wee/ bit red, and
> others are /wee/ blue; is that what you referred to? On a slide?
> Yow.

The human eye has amazingly poor colour response at low intensities.

You'll find that on film, the colours of starlight are splendidly
vivid and varied.

One thing about slides vs. negs for starfields---on my slide shots I
saw the constellations wonderfully, because the dimmer stars hardly
registered.   On negative film you have a much wider contrast range,
and get considerably more stars.

> Yea; last roll had nine bracketed exposures of a full moon in
> clouds and the resulting halo. In big bold capital letters I printed

Moon is tricky.  Getting good moon shots is *much* harder than
starfields.  Getting moon shots with anything else recognizable is way
hard.

Have you seen Adams' famous "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico"?  That
negative is almost unprintable.  Only split intensification and thirty
years of experimentation got the prints that sell for thousands now.

> "please do not correct; print 18 0rey; bracketed exposures, print
> UNCORRECTED". Went to the big Fuji place. Yup, no prints. The negs show

Unless you can go to your lab and say "G'day Jim, how's Cheryl and the
kids?  Got some star-shots for you today, see you tomorrow as usual?"
you won't get happy results from negatives.

The "uncorrected" print is a myth, IMAO.

cjb.

--
 ------------------ Linux hackers do it in protected mode -------------------
 | Christopher Biggs - Software Engineer, Stallion Technologies, Australia  |