Re: [OM] exposure for star photos

Subject: Re: [OM] exposure for star photos
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:22:05 -0700 (PDT)
On 3 Sep 1999, Christopher Biggs wrote:

:Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:
:
:>
:> So with 400ASA, 50/1.4MC wide open, I can shoot at 1/15sec and get
:> points?
:
:Yeah, but stop down a bit for sharpness.

Right-O, then. I'll start at f/2.8 and stop down from there while
increasing time.

:> Do you advise wideopen or stopped down lens? Uhm, colors? What colors? If
:> I try /really/ hard, I can see some stars a just a /wee/ bit red, and
:> others are /wee/ blue; is that what you referred to? On a slide?
:> Yow.
:
:The human eye has amazingly poor colour response at low intensities.
:
:You'll find that on film, the colours of starlight are splendidly
:vivid and varied.
:
:One thing about slides vs. negs for starfields---on my slide shots I
:saw the constellations wonderfully, because the dimmer stars hardly
:registered.   On negative film you have a much wider contrast range,
:and get considerably more stars.

Haven't decided yet if this is a good thing or not <G>.

:> Yea; last roll had nine bracketed exposures of a full moon in
:> clouds and the resulting halo. In big bold capital letters I printed
:
:Moon is tricky.  Getting good moon shots is *much* harder than
:starfields.  Getting moon shots with anything else recognizable is way
:hard.

Which is why I ran the gamut of apertures at one shutter speed. I was
hoping to digitally overlay one on the other (getting both the details in
the seas and the halo).

:Have you seen Adams' famous "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico"?  That
:negative is almost unprintable.  Only split intensification and thirty
:years of experimentation got the prints that sell for thousands now.

No, I haven't.

:> "please do not correct; print 18 0rey; bracketed exposures, print
:> UNCORRECTED". Went to the big Fuji place. Yup, no prints. The negs show
:
:Unless you can go to your lab and say "G'day Jim, how's Cheryl and the
:kids?  Got some star-shots for you today, see you tomorrow as usual?"
:you won't get happy results from negatives.

I guess that means local stores...Redlands Camera.

:The "uncorrected" print is a myth, IMAO.

Mind explaining this bit? TIA

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
"I look to you / How you carry on / When all hope is gone / Can't you see
/ Your optimistic eyes / Seem like paradise / To someone like / Me / ..."