[OM] 21/3.5 (was: FW: Various comments.)

Subject: [OM] 21/3.5 (was: FW: Various comments.)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:55:38 -0700
From:          "Williamson, Michael" <Michael.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Imagine my excitement when he reached into the back of the cabinet and
...this was the only lens he (OM) had in the shop ....was an 21mm F3.5 SC
in optically perfect condition (some paint fade) !!!!! WOW!!!!. I managed
to pick it up for £40...

THEIF! THEIF! :-)

... Does anybody know
how much this lens is really worth...

In March, I sold one in EX condition (some brassing on the aperture ring and mount face, but perfect glass) for $300. As I mentioned recently, I then paid The Olympus Guy about $650 for the 21/2.

(BTW: I just found my receipt. I paid $239 for it brand new in 1986.)

... Can somebody give me some
feedback... do you all have this exciting lens, or am I just lucky ???

It is a great hunk of glass, and compact enough to take everywhere. Be sure to keep your feet, fingers, and tripod out of the frame. :-) Be careful with filters -- only the thinnest ones don't vignette. I used a super-thin Hoya polarizer with it, but it is so wide that different parts of the sky will have different polarizations, and so will be uneven. Invest in a 7mm auto extension tube for some awesome wide-angle macros. Forget using a flash without bounce or umbrella -- it will look like you're shooting in a tunnel.

My fee for this advise: send the next 21/3.5 you get for 40 pounds directly to me, and I'll reimburse you. I've been missing it since I "traded up."

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>