Re: [OM] OM-1 Battery

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 Battery
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 03:35:03 EDT

>       I'm considering buying a used OM-1, I had one previously and liked it.
>  What is the situation with the meter's battery?  Do they need the
> discontinued
>  mercury batteries or not?  Are there current batteries made to work with
it?

There are several choices here, ranging roughly from good to bad:
1. In camera adapter: have a camera repairman, such as Camtech, install a
special diode that will reduce the voltage of an ordinary S76 or 357silver
oxide to that of a mercury cell.
2. A company called CrisCam sells an adapter that fits into the battery
compartment that also has the same voltage reducing diode.
3. Find mercury cells. A list member, Gary Schoss, has a few left I think. Or
sometimes they are for sale on the internet.
4. Wein cells, which you can find in most camera stores, are really air
activated zinc cells. The voltage is close to mercury 1.35 but may result in
a one stop error.
5. 675 hearing aid batteries (also zinc air cells). These are physically too
small but some have bought simple rubber "O" rings at the hardware store to
take up the space. Or you can use the metal washer that was around the Wein
cell but this requires a bit of force.
6. Alkaline PX625 are not recommend by Olympus factory and warn that the
meter movement may be burnt out.
7. Sunny 16.

I like the shutter sound of the OM1 the best of all OM camera.  Good luck.
Make sure to check the foam seal for the back and make sure its not gooey.