Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 09:43:17 -0700
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>

I do an awful lot of birding and frequently use spotting scopes.  I've
had the opportunity to use all types of scopes with all types of tripods
and there is not a one that will not vibrate very visibly at higher
powers...

Have you tried graphite? I used to think these puppies were just an expensive way to lose some weight, but they are significantly stiffer and less vibration-prone than aluminum tripods -- that's the REAL reason to invest in one.

Maybe having spent ~$500 for a used tripod biases me, but I think shots from my Gitzo 1228 are significantly sharper than those from my other tripods.

Patiently waiting for a carbon-fiber Benbo or UniLoc...

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>