Re: [OM] ... spot metering technique ...

Subject: Re: [OM] ... spot metering technique ...
From: Wm Biesele <wbiesele@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:08:40 -0600
> From: "claire" <clairetm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Anyone of U out there employ the technique of the zone system when taking
> pics with the OM-4Ti ? Even with colour film.....
>
> What I do is to look for the mid shade of grey ( stage 5 of the total 9
> stages of grey in the zone system) , then I take a spot reading of that and
> then shoot.

No.  That's the way it works. The highlight button is +2.5 stops or Zone 7.5,
the shadow is -2 stops
or Zone 3.

I've taken this one step farther and programmed a calculator to do exposure
averaging ala the OM 3 & 4;
with
one enhancement: You can assign a zone to each exposure value entered. The
calculator then figures the
exposure,
and the standard deviation. I use the standard deviation as a guide to decide
if the film can handle the
subject, and
if it can how much to bracket.

This has been useful in some situations, but I generally rely on the OM's
average and common sense.