Re: [OM] exposure for star photos

Subject: Re: [OM] exposure for star photos
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Sep 1999 07:42:14 +1000
Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> -snip
> cjb wrote:
> >
> >I don't hold much faith in the idea that there is a single
> >distinguised "uncorrected" exposure that will print a whole roll as
> >the photographer envisaged it.
>
> Slide shooters do it all the time with a single uncorrected development.

Sure---one of the reasons I love shooting slides.

But both a slide and a negative will hold more tonal range than can be
printed.  So the decision as to what part of the tonal range is to be
printed has to be made by someone.

If some of you have found a minilab that will do uncorrected prints,
and that works for you, that's great, and so it should (for most
subjects).  I haven't had much luck (so I settle for a contact sheet
when I need to see each image at the same exposure, or go to a scanner
and see for myself).

cjb

--
 chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, when he visits the Real World, is Christopher J. Biggs
 Impossible Software Engineering,  Stallion Technologies, Brisbane Australia.