[OM] OM2000 vs OM3

Subject: [OM] OM2000 vs OM3
From: "Harrisons" <harrisonfamily1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 19:50:55 -0400
Got several useful feedback answers, some in the form of questions of
whether I wanted to have a semi-status symbol or just a workhorse,
paraphrased roughly.  Fair questions and I am pondering that aspect myself.
I know I get a lot of enjoyment just from handling an OM1; I appreciate the
feel of precision hardware.

Beyond that I want total manual control.  Tried the PHD (push here dummy)
approach and was not happy, even with spot metering and focus locking.  I
never got quite what I had envisioned.  I insist on the FOV preview.

That done, let me address Alex's questions as they may appluy to others,
although your answers will not not necessarily coincide with mine.

Favorite subject matter - flowers, especially small wildflowers in bad
light.  Why they grow there, I'll never know.  They are why I need spot
metering.  Usually the little demons are surrounded by very bright or dark
and the exposure becomes a guestimate.

Favorite film - Guilty pleasure  Cosco packaged Agfa 200 print.  I always
liked Agfa from 30 years ago.  No zip.  No eye grabbing color.  I just like
it.

Favorite lens - 50mm/1.8 Zuiko, with front mounted closeup lenses for really
small stuff.  Less happy with 50mm/1.4  I have other Zuiko lenses but the
50/1.8 is my most used.  I know that closeup lenses have bad field edge
performance, but the little dinky flowers are not much of the FOV.  I might
prefer a good macro lens, but I have not seen a reasonable one.  I am happy
with the image quality with the closeup lenses, given the limitations of
what I shoot, but might be happier if anyone has a good recommendation for a
light 50-55mm macro that focuses to about an inch for 1:1.

Tripod - Sometimes when near home.  Perhaps I should get a modern one which
is more compact.  Old one is over 30 years old-heavy but stable, not good
for carrying around

Alex's comment about why not an OM4Ti is harder to deal with.  I like the
fully mechanical system, sheer prejudice from having other, cheap cameras
leave me dead in the water with a low battery.  I also like the noises of
the mechanical innards, feel like a human being thought it out and crafted
it - irrational, but I like it.

Dave