Re: [OM] (OM) Films

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Films
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:28:54 +0100
Alex wrote:

>In the UK Kodak have launched a new B&W film called "Black & White +" that
can
>be processed in C41 chemicals
>
>Does anyone have any experience of this film, as C41 processing is obviously
>cheaper, but I've been dissapointed in the past by XP2?

I imagine you're thinking of T400CN, which is a C41-process b/w film
similar to XP2.  I've not used it myself, but a friend has tried it and
found it less to his liking than XP2 Super.  It has a stronger base tint
than XP2 making it easier to print on colour paper but harder to print on
conventional variable-contrast b/w papers. A recent magazine article
(forget where, sorry) suggested that XP2 Super was the best of the three
(the third being a Konica equivalent).

Experience with XP2 Super in my OM-2SP (<OM content) is that it is a fine
grained film with wide exposure latitude, but TBH the fact that it's C41
process is actually a *disadvantage* to me since I roll my own b/w.  The
local one-hour lab produced some rather odd-looking enprints with a blue
cast in the shadows and a green one in the highlights, but I've been able
to get some good results on my usual Agfa Multicontrast b/w paper.  Overall
though I prefer conventional b/w film for monochrome.  Personally, I
wouldn't rely on getting good quality b/w prints on colour paper.

C41 processing is only cheaper if you get a lab to do it - a roll of
conventional b/w film in Agfa Rodinal costs less than 15p to develop!

Regards
Richard

Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England