[OM] Zuiko 55mm single coated lens and Big Stinky Flower

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 55mm single coated lens and Big Stinky Flower
From: Hank Hogan <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 20:48:31 -0700
Fellow Zuiks --

I went to see  the Titan Arum (Amorphophallus titanum) that
bloomed at the Huntington Botanical Garden
(www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/TitanArum.htm)

I photographed it with my Zuiko 55 mm single coated lens on Kodak EIR at
200
ASA using an UV/IR,  Schott, UG1 filter.  The comparison shot was the
same with Kodak Gold 200 using without a filter.  I could not use my
tripod because of the
throng of people visiting the bloom.  I did use the T-10 Ring Flash even
though these were not traditional macro photos.  It is a whopping big
flash tube and generates lots of light (UV, Visible, and IR), too.   The
flower was about six feet tall so I had to take two exposures  to cover
the whole flower and paste them together with Adobe Photoshop.   The
Schott UG1 glass filter is a "black filter" almost as opaque to visible
light as the Wratten #87 gel used for infrared.
They are on a separate page right now but I will probably integrate the
photos into my UV page.  I have a comparison photo taken
with a Wratten #12 to exclude UV for an IR/Visible comparison but
unfortunately it is from the opposite
side.   Anyway, I thought you'd like to see this it is at the new URL:
http://flzhgn.home.mindspring.com/bsflower.htm

My web site has been relocated to:
http://flzhgn.home.mindspring.com/indexc.htm
and the UV page is at