[OM] (Fwd) RE: More Dribble from me.

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) RE: More Dribble from me.
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:45:38 +0000
From:          "Williamson, Michael" <Michael.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:            "'owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:       RE: More Dribble from me.
Date:          Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:06:25 +0100

Guys,

I own, and still use my GX-F91 3 head (4 motor - two for tape t/port, 1 for
cassette well, 1 for automatic facia folddown, closed loop (double capstan)
IR remote control, cassette deck. Heaps of other features. This was the best
(flagship) cassette deck AKAI made in 1985/6. I paid $700 AUD (the rrp was
799aud then). I have used the deck extremely heavily, and it still performs
fantastically. I reckon AKAI made extremely good quality stuff back then,
not so sure about there stuff now, seems to be heading Sanyo way if you know
what I mean. At the time I could'nt afford the Nakamichi, so I had to resort
to the AKAI. The other one I really wanted was the AIWA F990 which won the
Australian HiFi awards as the best cassette deck for that year. The GX
glass/Xtal heads have a lifetime warranty, I am trying to be the first one
to claim the replacement heads.

Not really OM content, except to say that I did photograph the unit for
insurance purposes with my OM !

One thing I have realised over the years - slowly - is if you buy the best,
it really does last years. If you buy state-of-the-art in optics or
electronics (whatever) for a given year, it will still be graded medium-high
in quality 10 years later, and it will probably last 15-20 years.

Somebody will work out a formula one day for this.... You only get what you
pay for, (but sometimes you get a bargain price).

John Hudson wrote:

> My 1971 vintage Sansui and Akai audio equipment was built like a rock,
> sounds great, still looks stylish, and hasn't done so much as popped a
> light bulb!

P.S: John, Those top-loaders (AKAI) were very reliable with their
mains-powered motors for the tape transport. I am not sure I would call them
"stylish" anymore with all that woodgrain and Black / Alum top !!!!!!! Are
you one of these people with a lamenex table in the kitchen with silver
flecs and the spherical white TV !! Ha Hah!

"WorldSecure Server <equitas.co.uk>" made the following
 annotations on 09/06/99 16:10:57

[INFO] -- Access Manager:
    Equitas Limited           33 St Mary Axe, London, EC3A 8LL, UK
please notify postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  and delete the message and any