[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1128

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1128
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:51:59 -0700
Clyde and Richard spar over the Benbo:

> Not significantly faster to setup
> than my Gitzo or Bogen.

I bet this wasn't the main design aim.... By handling
it like an normal tripod, one might loose his nerves, but properly used
it is as fast as any tripod with the additional advantage of his
acrobatic capabilities.

One thing I like about the Benbo that I haven't seen mentioned: you can lock the legs, which you cannot do with most other tripods, and those that do let you lock them (via a center support) only lock in one position.

I often lock my Benbo into a narrow tripod, then move it around with ease, or even carry it short distances with the legs splayed. This makes for significantly faster set-up (zero!) than a traditional tripod, because the legs don't flop around when you move it.

All things have advantages and disadvantages. I don't think anyone advocates a Benbo (or Uniloc) as the ultimate, be-all and end-all tripod, but it is more versatile than most people think.

I do wish for a carbon design, with three section legs (even the Trekker is too damn long) with lever cam-locks (instead of Gitzo's stupid collar locks), and 3/8"/1/4" mounts, spring-loaded like Manfrotto's, and a head-locking base like Manfrotto, and magnesium for the metal bits, and make it take-apartable (I still have water inside my Trekker), and a swivel column like Uniloc, and, and, and... :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>