(Fwd) Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice

Subject: (Fwd) Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:36:29 +0000

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:08:24 EDT
Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    I am currently using a Benbo for professional work. It is fitted with a
Bogen "joystick" head and an ELM. The benbo is the best I have ever found
(for my uses) as it fits in more awkward church pews, etc, than any other
tripod I have ever owned. I have gone through my fair share of various
bogens, tiltalls, etc. I did run into some information some time ago about
the Unilock...since this thread is discussing it does anyone know if they
have a website. It is Canadian, I think, and it is a modification on the
Benbo design. I don't understand wanting to use light, un*stable platforms
even if the camera is an OM. If you want it steady, the solid platforms IMHO
are all substantial and worth the extra couple of pounds to come back with
the picture.
    If the issue is thrift of weight, a Leitz head with tabletop legs can be
supported against anything and produce an acceptably stead platform for
casual use. A tree or doorjam are more than adequate if you hold it firmly
against them and use a good Leitz ball head. I have many night pictures done
with OM2n and this setup. Easier than carrying a large tripod or small flimsy
thing for occasional use.
    Thus my two cents...am willing to give change to other views.
Roger
robinsnestphotography.com