Re: [OM] the Feel: OM-1 vs. others

Subject: Re: [OM] the Feel: OM-1 vs. others
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 08:54:27 -0500
At 11:07 PM 9/8/1999 PDT, you wrote:
>This is an observation about the feel of the cameras.
>My OM4t, that I got used, has a great shutter sound and everything, but the
>advance is a little choppy.

>Then I tried out a couple of OM-2n's, I'd like one for a back-up.
>It's advance had that OM-4 feel-- a bit gritty.
>
>Is the Om-1 the only OM with this nice advance?

I'm recalling something John H. said previously about the OM-1's advance
being very different at least from the OM-2S's and I would presume the
OM-4T. All my OM-2S's seem a little stiffer and not as smooth as the
OM-1's.  The turning angle seems more acute, which suggests different
gearing, etc.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't worry about it or hesitate picking one
up.  Even after CLA my OM-2S's aren't buttery smooth.  Never gonna happen I
guess.  But as the cameras work well, I don't care. The rachety quality of
the OM-2S advance made me feel like something was wrong with it initially,
but this has never turned out to be the case.

The OM2000 seems to have a smoother advance than the OM-2S/4T, but not as
smooth as the OM-1.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA