[OM] Teleconverter conversions - further tech notes

Subject: [OM] Teleconverter conversions - further tech notes
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 10:21:59 -0500
I recently was able to develop a ton of film that had been lurking in my
fridge waiting for a payday.  I had a bunch of macro pictures taken with
"Vert" that pointed out a severe problem.  Initially, when it showed up I
thought it was a technique problem that caused lens flare.  Not so.

When removing the lens elements (they screw out as a single unit) from a
vivitar teleconverter you will notice that a "tunnel" remains.
Unfortunately, this "tunnel" is neither light-baffled, nor is it flat
black.  The end result is a "flare" like bright spot in the middle of your
picture (size varies with focal length of lens) caused by light reflecting
off the tunnel and back towards the middle of the film.  For some reason
this flare is not visible in the viewfinder but will surely trash your
favorite pictures.

Mahlon suggested that I head on down to the hardware store and pick up a
can of Krylon Flat Black paint and fix it that way.  I will definitely try
that.  The tunnel, even though black, is a highly reflective surface and
will need to be fixed.

Anyway, this helps explain why I've been overexposing my macro shots and
what appeared to be vignetting.  Duh!

Ken (Vert is going to pay for this) Norton