Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: Bernie & Diana Bennett <bennetts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 02:11:23 -0500
Olympus members:

I have been following the postings on the battery problem with interest as I am
about to resurrect my Pen FT and my OM1.  They were retired because I was having
exposure problems probably related to the wrong battery voltage. I'll be
scanning my photos by winter for the next A Day in the Life (3 or 4).

The reason I write is:

Today I read the referenced posting which softpedaled (implied disdain for) the
mercury problem.

"George M. Anderson" wrote:

> My advice is to get that battery out of there right away. I unknowingly
> used one of those and shortly thereafter the meter in my 20 yr old OM-1
> went dead.  I don't know if that was the cause, but ...
>
> Get a real mercury battery from Gary Schloss or some other source.  They
> are the best option.  Assuming you can live with the horrible
> consequences to the planet when your penny-sized mercury battery ends up
> in a landfill after its' 5-10 year life in your camera.
>
> george

The very next item I picked up online after closing my Olympus mail folder was
this:
http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/21674.html
Headlined "Mercury's Scary Migration".

Back to Lurking,