[OM] Flash photos with OM4T

Subject: [OM] Flash photos with OM4T
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:06:10 -0700
I have experienced something with flash photos taken with my OM4T which I
have not experienced with a Leica M3. Here is the story.

I took an indoors head and shoulders shot of my wife with a 100 / 2.8 or
135 / 3.5 Zuiko using a camera mounted Vivitar 283 electronic flash gun
using Kodak Gold 200. The picture is perfectly exposed and focused and
there is no red eye. She was seated about six inches in front of an off
white coloured wall.

The wall behind which my wife was sitting shows a distinct shadow cast by
the right side of her face and hairline, her right shoulder, and the upper
part of her right arm which might suggest that the flash gun was actually
placed to the right and slightly above the top of the camera and pointed
towards her face.

There is no shadow cast by the left side of my wife's face and hairline or
her left shoulder.

I have taken similar photos with my M3  using a 135mm lens and those photos
have not displayed any rear shadows.

I am wondering what accounts for the shadows. It is as if the flash gun
emits a very wide angle of light from a pin prick sized source, where this
angle far exceeds that of the lens.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated

John Hudson