Re: [OM] water tight bags

Subject: Re: [OM] water tight bags
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 02:43:00 EDT
Mark,
          I use the water tight bags from REI (Recreational Equipment Inc)
for this, when doing swim through canyon trips where the back packs and
contents are immersed for long periods. These bags are meant for white water
rafting and are essentially the same as those used by cavers for many years.
The tops are rolled over a few times and snap closed to provide a totally
waterproof seal and handgrip. The ones I like are see through (reinforced
with a nylon mesh fibre) so I know where everything is inside. They are
available in a number of sizes.  Another solution is to buy the huge clear
plastic bottles with screw top lids (these are also available from REI). I
used one of these for a trip to the Okavango swamps in Botswana to keep
lenses in while traveling in dug out canoes. They are a bit less convenient
for back packing as they are bulky and do not conform in pack.
    For trips where the gear is at extreme risk from getting wet (where I am
photographing from a floating air matress say) I have an OM10 that I bought
for $30 (needed minor repair) and a 28mm and 135mm with minor blemishes that
I obtained for less than $20 each. I put these in a sealed REI bag and take
them out when I feel I am floating stably enough. The bags float so I can
take them in and out easily, I just have to be careful not to overbalance!

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx