Re: [OM] Print Copying

Subject: Re: [OM] Print Copying
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:48:03 -0700
Cc: "olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
In a message dated 9/12/1999 Derrick Porter <dgporter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< I want to copy quite a number of old photographs that I have
inherited from my mother. >>

<snip> and...

<< A second question.  Does anyone have any suggestions for removing
photographs from an album?  The glue that my mother used appears to
be holding as firmly now as when she used it eighty years ago. >>

My advice would be to do this digitally. I am amazed at the output
quality that is possible now with digital output. (I never thought I
would say that as a "purist type" photographer either...but it's true
and I can't ignore it.) If you get high quality scans done of the photos
in question, you can "fix" any of the problems from glue, etc. in
Photoshop or the like. The files will be (kinda) archival and the
methods of priting them will only continue to improve over time (and the
options are pretty darn good right now).

As a newcomer to the list I sure hope that there aren't any past nasty
photographic vs. digital threads that I re-awaken with this advice. My
take is that with the technology available today I see no reason to make
photographic duplicates of old prints when one can more than likely
clone them easier and more accurately digitally. I know it sure is alot
easier to fix problems in Photoshop than with a brush too.

Good luck on your project! Sounds like a worthy one for sure...

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com