Re: [OM] more star trail Qs (re. speed, time, aperture)

Subject: Re: [OM] more star trail Qs (re. speed, time, aperture)
From: "J. Williams" <williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Olympus mail list <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Just to clarify a few things.  While stars are theoretical points of
light when they pass through a lens/mirror they form a diffraction pattern
(Airy disk).  The Airy disk is inversely related to aperture size. The
bigger the objection the smaller the pattern. So, a larger objective lets
you resolve such things as binary stars.

John