Re: [OM] Loosing last frames on E6...

Subject: Re: [OM] Loosing last frames on E6...
From: Dylan Sutton <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:36:52 +1000
> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:17:03 -0400
> From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Loosing last frames on E6...
>
> I have routinely gotten 38-39 exposures when I was being frugal with film.
> The downside is I also got the occasional misfeed of the leader and would
> promptly stack 40+ images neatly on top of a single non-transporting frame
> <g>.  I now make extra certain the leader is fully wound at the expense of a
> frame or two at the beginning of the roll.
snip

Same here. I usually get 38 or 39, occasionally 40. Yesterday I got my roll of
outdoor macros from the weekend back, to find about 37 of the 39 shots spoiled
by light leakage...It must have been that blob of black goo that I pulled out
when changing the roll, so I can't put off changing the foam any longer:( I've
never had a problem with losing pictures I thought I had. The lab I use returns
the leader and end of the film as well as the mounted slides, so I sometimes get
a partial exposure at the start which sometimes is worth cropping to preserve.
One good thing about manual rewind cameras like our OMs, you can tell if the
film has caught on the spool or not, so there is no need to shoot 40 frames on
top of each other. I feed the leader just into the spool, close the back, and
wind on one shot. Then I use the rewind to take up all the slack, so when I wind
on again I can tell if it slips because the rewind won't rotate. It has become
an automatic habit, and it's years now since I had a misfeed.
Dylan