RE: [OM] Black and white portraits

Subject: RE: [OM] Black and white portraits
From: "Higgins, Michael (Ex AS01)" <MHiggins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:08:17 +1000
Warning: Here comes a bit of a rave...

I have recently done a basic B&W course (mainly darkroom).  It was
fantastic.  Really inspired an interest in B&W as it's own form and I would
thoroughly recommend one to anyone interested in photography.  There is
something very special about watching your prints emerge in the developing
tank under the safe light.  I used to think that B&W was just colour without
the colour (if you know what I mean).  Now I wouldn't dream of comparing the
two, they are just too different.

Of course this hardly makes me an expert on the subject but here are my 2c
worth regarding your questions.

> 1. Filters I should get or borrow........ yellow, blue, etc
I think a green filter is recommended for skin tones, but most people I know
are happy without any filter.  If you want to get clouds against a blue sky
try yellow, orange or red.  (increasing levels of contrast between cloud and
sky.)

>2. Film is likely to be the most appropriate .........good for clear or
>cloudy skies and with good exposure latitude.

I guess the big decision for film is between true B&W or C-41.  I'm not
going to go there, but if you choose B&W I like Illford Delta 100 a lot more
than FP4.

For clothing, black and white are not really recommended.  The in-between
shades are pretty much what it's all about in B&W.

The main thing about B&W photography is that if you are at all serious about
you have to print your own photos.  That's where all the fun is (tweaking
times, contrast, burning in, dodging etc) and it's really not that hard or
expensive.  There are darkrooms available for hire so you don't even need
one of those.  Doing it yourself also lets you complete the 50s movie star
look you want with soft borders, custom toning, and hand tinting.  Too much
fun.

I have gone on long enough...

Cheers,

Mike