Re: [OM] Flat bead scanner for E6

Subject: Re: [OM] Flat bead scanner for E6
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Sep 1999 07:36:14 +1000
Vem De <tox1@xxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> I CANNOT AFFORD A NEW SCANNER. I have a Agfa SnapScan 600 today, but no
> E6-module for it. It costs about $250.
>
> ====> SO TO MY QUESTION:
> Does anybody have experience with such a module for a flat bead scanner?
> Does it give good results and do I have to take the image out of the frame
> when scanning? How does it work? Do you think I should go for the module?

I've used one (microtek E6), for slides and negs.

600dpi across a 35mm frame does not make for a very high resolution
image.

If you can deal with that, it's not so bad.  I lay out a dozen mounted
slides on the bed and scan them at 600 or 1200 dpi.   Sharpness is not
great, but colour and contrast control are fairly good.

With unmounted frames, you have to mask the edges to prevent
"bleeding".

All in all, I'd hock my grandmother for a proper negative scanner.
Flatbeds are exasperating.

cjb

(Can send demo pics if anyone's interested)

--
Christopher Biggs -- chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Stallion Technologies Australia.
There's a bug in my mailer that mangles my sig but V guvax V'ir svkrq vg abj.