Re: [OM] T32 for macro

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 for macro
From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:16:44 -0400
On the topic of flash macro lighting, there was an article in Photo
Techniques in Jul/Aug issue. "Dual Flash Macro Lighting Ttechniques
with the lepp bracket". An interesting thing I did not know is the
following:

  <...>

  You have to persist. Learning how to use my Lepp bracket was worth
  the effort. After all, my only other options were harsh singleflash
  shawdows or flat ringlight illumination with its weird catchlights.

  You also will have to learn about the link between light size and
  subject size. A closeup flash guideline is that you want the light
  and subject to be the same size, and you want to use the light from a
  distance equal to the subject size. Simple geometry dictates that a
  reflector twice the subject size should be at least twice as far
  away. This relationship shows form and texture. If your flash turns
  shiny surfaces such as the exoskeletons of insects into hazy glare,
  then the flash is too big and too close. Using a telephoto lens will
  move the gun back, effectively making it smaller. Automatic TTL flash
  guns often have large reflectors that work best with telephoto
  lenses.

Not sure I understand completely, but some interesting points.

Wayne
Hopkinton, MA