[OM] List problems finally resolved

Subject: [OM] List problems finally resolved
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:25:37 -0700
For those of you wondering why the list was acting strange, here's
the answer fwiw: (no real OM content)

For the most part, the list problems were resolved by Sunday night
when I was made aware of the problem by Giles and George. By
this time, we had seen at least 18 hours of disrupted service.

After assurances the problem was fixed by our ISP, I returneded
things to normal, only to have the problem crop up again. Since
this was only affecting inbound mail, it was not immediately evident
when service was interupted. (I will be monitoring this in future).

After many calls to Shaw Fiberlink (our ISP), they finally traced the
problem to insufficient memory in our T1 router causing it to flush
routes too often, making the inbound mail gateway unreachable
until the route was learned again. Adding a static route should have
eliminated the problem by 2:30 today.

Even so, I will continue to monitor inbound mail service for a while
before switching back to the main gateway.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but I felt it deserved one.

And yes, as you might have guessed, I've been far too busy to give
the OMs much use lately. I am quite anxious to pickup my first roll
of Velvia slides tomorrow though! Pretty sad that it took me nearly
a year to shoot it...

On the positive side, I'm getting a scanner tomorrow, so my web
pages might see some fresh photos soon.
;-)

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School