Re: [OM] ...dirt inside lenses...

Subject: Re: [OM] ...dirt inside lenses...
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:15:41 EDT

> I notice dirt inside some of my lenses. 24/f2.8 in particular. How did it
>  get in there ? and how to get it out? Does this mean that the lens isn't
>  airtight ? Are lenses supposed to be airtight in the first place ?

Dust can get into the lens by the action of focusing it--the extended lens
acts like a bellows and sucks air in and out.

>  I also see some kind of real tiny little bug ( with legs) sometimes
crawling
>  around inside too.... Now how to evict these tenants ?

Mites. They will eat the dust and leave droppings. I would suggest storing
the lens in an airtight container with a dessicant (not calcium chlorine
because its dusty) and maybe the little guys will dry out.

>  Also got a speck of 'spider web' looking fungus growing inside my 35-105
>  zoom... how to clean it away ? Or should I just leave it there ? Its been
>  years now, I've noticed the patch doesn't grow in size .(phew..)

Periodic exposure to good old sunlight with ultraviolet light should stop it
in its tracks.  Also this lens should be stored with dessicant. I live,
fortunately, in Southern California, where there's low humidity but where
landscapes turn out brown due to the smog.

Warren