RE: [OM] ...dirt inside lenses...

Subject: RE: [OM] ...dirt inside lenses...
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:33:11 +0200
Hi,

I know I shouldn't, but I just couldn't resist this one:

> I notice dirt inside some of my lenses.
[...]
> I also see some kind of real tiny little bug ( with legs)
> sometimes crawling around inside too....
[...]
> Also got a speck of 'spider web' looking fungus growing
> inside my 35-105 zoom...

It sounds like you have a nice flora/fauna infestation in your lenses! Now
if only you had a macro lens you could probably get some cool wildlife-in-OM
pictures :)))

O.k., slightly more seriously:
-Dirt: I suppose these are the tiny black specks one sees at times in
lenses. I'm not certain how it's caused. Cleaning it out would involve
disassembling the lens and cleaning the complete inside of the lens. By
doing this, however, it's very tough not to get any dust in there. If the
specks are really tiny, they will not visually influence picture quality, so
then I'd leave them.
-Fungus: You're unlucky, as the fungus is in a zoom lens. Fungus removal
also includes disassembling the lens, now, as it's a zoom it probably has a
rather complicated design. Besides, trying to clean fungus yourself is a
hazardous operation, as my poor 300/4.5 found out :( Like with the dust, if
the fungus is really tiny (which it probably is, judging from your
description), I would probably leave it.
-Bugs: This one has me puzzled, how the heck did they/it get in there??? No
idea if it can do any damage...

Alright, good luck with this!
Olafo