Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner on the cheap?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:01:18 -0600
At 08:11 AM 9/16/99 -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>It occured to me that one might be able to produce a "film scanner" very
>cheaply by:
>
>using a very inexpensive flat bed scanner and projecting the image of a
>slide onto the scanner surface with a slide projector or enlarger. The
>imaging surface would have to be a ground glass or other opaque surface
>and might be achieved simply by grinding the existing glass with a very
>fine grit.
>
>Anybody ever try something like this.  Is it workable or a dumb idea?
>Could it be as simple as taping a piece of waxed paper over the glass to
>form the imaging surface?  I'd try it if I had a scanner.

Chuck, I don't think it'll work.  Flatbeds generally work by reflecting light
off of a surface, not by "passive scanning" of a light-producing object (the
projected transparency).  They have their own built-in light source to do this,
of course.

Now, if the flatbed also has the alternate mode built in (transmission instead
of reflectance, which some flatbeds must have if they're also doing double-duty
as transparency scanners), then it might work, assuming you can get it to kick
into that mode while you're performing your trick.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/