[OM] Tripod help......

Subject: [OM] Tripod help......
From: "Shari Rose" <srose@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:40:17 -0000
Hi there,

      I don't write on here much but have been reading.  With all the talk
on tripods lately, I was wondering if anyone could give me some help/ideas
on my problem?

      First off, I'm disabled and in a wheelchair and about a year ago I
bought a lighweight Quantaray tripod which works pretty good [but the head
kinda wiggles when I depress the shutter button] for when I plan to stay in
one spot.  Then I decided [for portability] I wanted to get some kind of
tripod to attatch to the arm of my wheelchair.  I got to looking on Ebay and
a few other places for this kind of setup.  What I've decided on was the
Bogen Super-Clamp/standard-sized stud, with the Bogen 3030 tripod head.  I'm
looking for the magic-arm on ebay.....unless somebody can suggest a better
way here as well?  :)

       My main question is this:  Now that I've got the Bogen 3030 head,
I've discovered that it's MUCH sturdier than the head on my Quantaray tripod
[earlier I said it wiggles].  I found out that head is removable
but......the head attatchment is not the right attatchment for the 3030 to
hook up to.  I was wondering if there was some kind of attatchment I can get
to permenantly mount to my current tripod so I can switch the Bogen head
back and forth between the tripod and the chair "tripod"?

        I don't want to give up the Quantaray tripod because it was the
lightest/easiest to use unit I could find.  Overall I love the
tripod.......it has little "flip-clamps" to lock/unlock the adjustable legs
as apposed to the screw types I've seen on the Bogen brand.  Plus, from
reading some of your notes on the Bogen brand they are heavy.  If they are
too heavy for you all able-bodied users, then I know I couldn't handle them.
The only thing I don't like on the Quantaray is the head....it'made of
plastic where the Bogen is of metal and the quick release is almost
impossible for me to use because you have to hold the release open while you
attatch/detatch the unit.  With the Bogen the lever locks in place.

       I've created a little web site to show you what I'm talking about.
http://www.fn.net/~srose/tripod/tripod.htm.

       Thank you ahead of time for the help.

    Shari