Re: [OM] Tripod help......

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod help......
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:57:33 +0100
Shari Rose wrote:

>...Now that I've got the Bogen 3030 head,
>I've discovered that it's MUCH sturdier than the head on my Quantaray
tripod
>[earlier I said it wiggles].  I found out that head is removable
>but......the head attatchment is not the right attatchment for the 3030 to
>hook up to.  I was wondering if there was some kind of attatchment I can
get
>to permenantly mount to my current tripod so I can switch the Bogen head
>back and forth between the tripod and the chair "tripod"?

I haven't seen either make in the UK but your Quantaray head looks
suspiciously like the one on my little Stitz tripod, also plastic - and with
a broken clamp. At the other end of the centre column on mine there is a
removable rubber plug and you can see just how thin the material of the
column is. With the plug removed the column pulls out and can be re-inserted
upside down, so there's no need to saw off the head stud.
The only solution that comes to mind is to fit a wooden plug into the
column, drilled and tapped to take a 1/4" threaded spindle to fit the Bogen
head to. If it's as lightly made as my Stitz though, a heavy head would make
the tripod very whippy. As it is, I've never used any camera heavier than my
35RC on it (Oly content!)

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx