Re: [OM] Desiccant source/silica gel source?

Subject: Re: [OM] Desiccant source/silica gel source?
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:29:19 EDT

> Seriously, how do you tell when the little bags that come with stuff has
>  reached it's saturation limit?  There were comments a while back that it
>  is not all good reusable desiccant.  I believe the caution was against
>  the stuff found in shoe boxes.

Calcium chloride is more like salt and WILL corrode you camera if any dust
gets on metal parts as salt will. Silica gel comes in larger grannules, isn't
powdery and usually comes with a color indicator that shows if its reached
its limit in holding water.  Of course this was college chemistry I'm
recollecting and it has been a few years....

In a pinch you could probably dry some rice out in the oven and pack it into
cloth bags. When moist you could eat it (belying my Asian heritage her).

Warren