Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: "Garry D. Lewis" <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:18:19 -0500
>>Restrict mercury batteries to a small minority of photographers who use old
>>manual
cameras and appear to be doing something about the environment.<<

An how many cameras have been produced, over the years since 1973, that
required a "mercury"
battery? Counting both Olympus and non-
Olympus models, I would venture to say way more than "a small minority". Why is
it that everyone
wants to "clean up the enviroment", but " don't start in my backyard" . We are
so unwilling to give
up our "small minority" of the problem, why then sould we hippocritically ask
"industry" to give up
their "tons" of  the problem. Those that point at others and say " make them
stop" , should first be
sure 'their' fingers are clean.
        Minamata was all about the damage of a village, by mercury poison, by
an uncaring industry.
Well in case you haven't thought about it,
"we" are 'part' of the mercury industry( both in and outside of photography).
If we didn't demand
it, "they" wouldn't produce it. Waiting for the "other guy" to solve the
problem, only gets you a
bigger problem. Yes, there are worse and bigger pollutions / polluters in this
world. But that
doesn't justify our ignoring our own culpability in this enviromental mess we
are heading towards.
ALL should  adopt the attitude that " the buck stops here".

        yours down
off my soapbox,

Garry D. Lewis