Re: [OM] tripods and outdoor macros

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods and outdoor macros
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:39:14 -0700
From: Dylan Sutton <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I found by far my major limitation was not positioning the
camera or keeping it still, but keeping the subject still... Does
anyone have any clever tricks that they use to get around this problem?

Build a tent! An old white bedsheet draped over you and your tripod does double-duty: not only does it keep your subject from swaying in the wind, it diffuses direct sunlight. If it's REALLY windy, a few strategically placed rocks works wonders.

That's the tecnique I used in <http://www.bytesmiths.com/Art_Gallery/4835_Medium.jpg>. It is particularly easy to do if you have inverted your tripod column to get closer to the ground, as the "normal" end of the tripod becomes your tent post.

So, for the price of a $60 commercial light diffuser (which is much better with light than wind), go to a thrift store and get an old white sheet, and have enough left over for three or four Zuiko 50/1.8 lenses!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1 503 635 3229 (voice) +1 503 675 9012 (fax)