RE: EPA regs was [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: RE: EPA regs was [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 22:37:17 -0700
From: Smoliga Nick  Contr AEDC/SVT <Nick.Smoliga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Self-appointed "elite's" (formerly kings, czars, etc., currently various
advocates of "saving" -- the environment, children, fuzzy animals, etc ---
and "rights") always know what's best for the other guy, and construct
rationales to justify their control of everybody else. That's what the
framers of the Constitution wanted to avoid by a limited Government...

I find these views curiously hypocritical, coming as they do from someone with ".mil" in their address. One could say the same things about the military, consuming as it does over half the federal budget, when you include interest payments on deficits attributable to previous military spending. The entire EPA budget is probably less than that of one large military base.

And as for the "all-powerful EPA" -- I haven't noticed them taking out any foreign governments lately. Seems to me the military has them trumped when it comes to being "all-powerful."

You might like the environment, you might like the military, but please argue your biases on their merits, rather than some delusional "big government" theory. That is, unless you get absolutely no benefit from any part of the government, and therefore have no vested interest. Then, I'll listen. (I don't think such a person is out there, since Ted Kazinski got locked up. :-)

... What the government
gives to one, it must take from another...

This is true, and it appears your income (or at least your Internet access :-) comes entirely from funds taken from others. Is this supposed to lend credibility to your view that "saving the environment, children, fuzzy animals, etc." is somehow a parasitic function? I am sure you view the military as absolutely essential, and above question, but given your views, can't you conceive that someone might consider YOU the parasite?

Obligatory OM content: for about the cost of ten illegal mercury batteries, you can get your OM-1 converted to use legal batteries, which cost only 80 0.000000e+00ss than the illegal batteries.

So what's the problem here? Just Do The Right Thing, and Quitcherbitchin!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1 503 635 3229 (voice) +1 503 675 9012 (fax)