Re: eco lights was Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: Re: eco lights was Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 08:34:05 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/99 12:22:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< re. swithing off lamps etc.
 I would suggest that you look into compact florescents, a la Philips
 EarthLights. Color (to the eye) is comparable to that od an incandescent
 (golden hue), but it's still florescent (pictures turn out green...).
 I managed to convince my parents to change all the daily/high use/living
 area to those. >>

Most but not all of the common compact flourescents are so called warm-white
(often marked WW) and hence produce much more red than the old cool white
(CW) units. The WW's don't turn you into Boris Karloff  and are visually hard
to distinguish from incandescent lamps .  In Europe the Warm lamps are often
termed "Deluxe". Unfortunatey the spare bulbs that are stocked in the Home
improvement stores are often Cool white particularly the "circline" style.
Also the cheapest versions of the circleline style of lamps are usually CW
and worse do not use solid state ballasts so flicker for ages until they
start. In regular 4ft etc straight flourescents an even warmer colour
rendering can be obtained using lamps marked KB or "kitchen bathroom".
Unfortunately most consumers aren't aware of the differences and buy on
price. The 69c specials are never KB lamps but turn everybody into
Frankenstein. The KB tubes usually run more like $5. but are definetly worth
it in quality of light.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx